Sunday, July 20, 2014

Over Shabbat my cousins introduced me to my other half; he's white, squishy, and $76.30 on Amazon. The object of my adoration is a plush bio-soy memory-foam pillow, and because of him, I've spent most of the day in bed. Upon the sizzle of flame in grape juice, you can guess I sprinted to my computer in order to purchase my mail-delivery husband.

Like any true GenY-er I opened Facebook to see what notifications lay waiting. What I found made a whoosh of air explode from my lungs and rupture my ribs, leaving me empty and shattered. In the past 48 hrs. 18 IDF soliders were murdered while protecting Israel from terrorists. Thousands of fathers, mothers, brothers, sisters, sons, and daughters stood in the line of missles and bullets, laying sleeplessly on rocks, as I compared materials and density of memory foam.

On Friday, I boarded the bus to work, and continued where I left off in Yishtabach. Out of the corner of my eye, I noticed a man staring at me as I unabashedly mumbled supplications to G-d. He unabashedly sat transfixed in my direction. As the bus filled, more riders turned in my direction. I told myself this would not be the first nor last time I would receive this kind of curious attention, so despite the growing audience, I prayed. As I closed my siddur, the man whose curiosity had peaked stood as his bus stop came into vision. Before he descended, he sat beside me and spoke a foot from my face.

"Read Psalm 83," he said. "Say it for our 'situation'." A bit stunned, I promised the man who had stared for nearly fifteen minutes-and just as he had boarded, he descended without another word into the streets.

It's true what they say about the transendence of Torah, of it being everlastingly relevant. Now as in the days of Asaf, we plead, "Oh God, do not remain silent, do not turn a deaf ear. Do not stand aloof, O God. See how your enemies growl, how your foes rear their heads. With cunning they conspire against your people; they plot against those you cherish." -Tehillim 83

As I browsed through Facebook Erev Shabbos searching for news to quell my shattered spirits, I came across a link to a friend's charity page in order to purchase safety gear for his Sniper Team. Without another thought- the money I had planned to purchase my pillow went towards protective vests, red light night flashlights, and gun silencers. (Here is the link: http://www.youcaring.com/other/202-sniper-class/184884)

A pillow, a bald man on the bus, and a bit of breathlessness; This is all it took to realize that if the protectors of my people can't sleep at night, neither should I.

Sincerely,
El-ya'aneh ; God, He will answer

No comments:

Post a Comment