Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Today was a rough day- there's no skirting around the details or sugarcoating of any kind- it was simply rough. On a typical weekday, I start my mornings by waking up at 7:25 a.m. This gives me enough time to make my bed, and get dressed, brushed, makeup-ed, packed, daven-ed, breakfast-ed, and waiting at the bus stop by 8:25.
-
The slits that were my eyes slowly widened- adjusting to my iPhone screen - and then began to bulge in fear: The clock read 8:13. With the gracefulness of a just-born calf, I rolled off the mattress and began dressing in a fury. Out of the corner of my eye, I spotted a gallon-sized Ziploc bag which I proceeded to spill the contents of my makeup bag into, along with my contacts, comb, tooth brush, and toothpaste. With my bed sheets scattered, but my fly zipped, I blindly dashed to the kitchen, with just enough time to throw breakfast, lunch, and a water-bottle into my backpack (Thank G-d for always packing my lunches the night before).

By 8:20 the alarm system was set, the door locked, and pupils transitioning to the morning sun. Running down the blocks, I stumbling to the busstop and arrived with a six minute window. Feeling my body go slack, I dropped my bag on the curb and called home.Knowing that you've got to laugh to keep from crying- we both broke out in hysteric laughing. Had I a mirror with me- we would have laughed longer and harder. Needless to say when I got on the bus, the driver who usually complements my outfit or hairdo, was silent.

With 15 minutes to spare, I made a b-line for the bathroom, took out my hefty Ziploc and began my morning regimen right there in the communal office restroom. I paid no attention to the swinging door, nor the faces that emerged and watched my comical mascara/mouthwash juggling. I figured I could just hide for some time in my cubicle- then again- I was getting all made up, to sit in a cubicle.

When I finally sat down to my desk I thanked G-d for His merciful Providence. Closing my eyes, I inhaled deeply with a mind cleansing breath and focused on trying to make it a good day. Rejuvenated, I pressed my computer's 'start' button. The screen showed black. Apparently last time I turned it off I messed with a system control and it would take time for its software to reboot....................................................................
......*breath*..................................................................................*cricket*.......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................*tumbleweed*.......................................................................................dammit.


The rest of the day passed in confusion. One of my articles was sent back from editing and was unrecognizable from the work I had submitted. Midday, a girl at work asked to sit with me for lunch and we sat in the heat discussing a drunken mugging episode that happened to her by cocaine cartel goons during her alternative break in Ecuador (moral of the story- don't travel to Ecuador). Somewhere in all that, I got a sunburn and choked on a popcorn kernel.

It's days like these- dropping my  right contact lens on the communal bathroom floor- where all I can say is "Gam zoo l'tovah"-this too is good.

Sincerely,
At least I'm not in Ecuador





No comments:

Post a Comment