Sunday, June 22, 2014

Mazal Tov!! B'sha Tova! Thank you, thank you. As one would guess, I am now the proud parent of not one, not two, but nine baby spiders. Clearly, this is the result of  mixed dancing; there is no other logical explanation.

Now please don't take me as the deranged cat lady who lives next door always smelling of fish, or the green peace vegan who composts by day, smokes weed by night; I simply feel that nature should go undisturbed. It is for this reason that I refuse ibuprofen when I feel the onset of a headache, pass on any food or drink made with fake sweeteners, and have put the octomom to shame with the birth of my spider clan. I like to pretend that the world functions in harmony- that we all just want to catch fourth of July fireflies- and that humanity isn't cruel enough to perform acts of terror.

On June 12, three of my brothers were kidnapped from Gush Etzion in the West Bank. There names are Naftali Frankel (16, from Nof Ayalon), Gilad Shaer (16 from Talmon) and Eyal Yifrah (19 from Elad.)They were stolen by Hamas terrorists waiting for a hitchhike to go home.

During Shacharit this morning, I closed my glassy eyes, shut my turquoise siddur bought in Jerusalem at Manny's bookstore, and picked up the phone. It rang three times before I heard breathing on the other end. "Mom," I said, "I'm sorry about last night. I was being stupid, and I know you only want what's best for me." She waited for me to compose myself. "I was thinking about Naftali, Gilad, and Eyal just now- and -(choking back tears) I wondered what were the last words they had said to their parents. Mom, if God forbid anything were ever to happen to me, always know that I love you and Daddy. I'm sorry I don't always show it."

It was a profound moment for me this past Shabbat as we set up three candles- one for each of the missing boys- next to my candle. I thought of the empty chairs, the untouched soup,  the immense gap felt at each familys' tables now  for the second Shabbat in a row.

 I thought of Schindler's List as well. In the movie, Oscar Schindler notoriously states, "Power is when we have every justification to kill- and we don't."
Kidnapping three helpless teenagers is what happens when humanity is no longer content to live in harmony- when catching fireflies, building forts, telling your mother you love her- is no longer enough. Why does humanity pervert itself to fiend-hood, and disturb the course of life? Money? Prestige? Salvation?

To my unfortunate brothers and all of Israel, may Hashem console us soon and return our boys. May the one who taught me to take pity on a few shower spiders, take pity on you as well.

Sincerely,
The Possessor of Power #bringbackourboys


No comments:

Post a Comment