Thursday, January 23, 2014

I have a confession. I did not daven Shacharit this morning; I did not daven yesterday either. The events leading up to this blip are two pronged. One, because of a habit that has caused me to avoid morning minyan. Two, because my kavannah is waning.

The evolution of what the Chazan is allowed to project out loud is a fascinating thing. As I tried concentrating during Ashrei this past Tuesday, I was unable to focus my thoughts: The Chazan was boisterously mumbling a jargon that- had it been played back to an audio 20x slower- might  have sounded something like Hebrew instead of a broken car muffler in late February. I am not talking about a Chazan repeating the Amida nor the subsequent lines of a prayer; I am speaking about mumbling the entire morning service aloud with the staccato of a roller coaster track. I left feeling indignant rather than uplifted. How long has this phenomena been going on for? Why do congregants put up with this pray butchery? More importantly should I be avoiding G-d because of one person's inconsiderate habit?

A Realization: Am I using the Chazan as an unwarranted excuse to justify my kavannah shortfalls?

When did it happen that davening became a chore and became shorter and less frequent each morning?
I fear I am slowly becoming what I despise- an ingrate.

Hoping I will find some spiritual revelation when I return from winter break,
Sincerely,
Scapegoater

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have actually thought of this a couple of times, what bothers me more about the "Chazan Issue" is that at some minyanim, mumbling isn't a short coming or a mistake, it is mistaken for a prime davening. People don't ignore it, they enjoy it!

    And the argument went on so much to say that Chana when she davened, she davened with a mumbling cry, and today when people daven they are trying to resemble her, whose prayers were answered. I think its more people trying to make sense of how it became so much into the culture of ashkenaz davening

    I would love to actually see something done about this, to spread awareness, the importance of proper prayer.

    ReplyDelete